I'm very excited about using technology in my lesson plans as a teacher. I think one very creative way of using technology would be in an 8th grade nutrition class. I will first begin by teaching the class about how crucial exercise and a good diet are for healthy living (by showing them a power point presentation with statistics on obesity and the average American's diet). I will then get the class active and involved in the lesson by asking them to participate in some every day stretches that promote better health. For the last 30 minutes or so of class I will them bring them to the school's computer lab for their assignment. The assignment's objective will be to use the internet and spread sheets to find the calories and fat in a typical fast food meal. Students will choose a fast food restaurant (Burger King, Wendy's, etc.) then choose a meal (complete with a drink, french fries, etc.). For each item on the menu, they will record the calories and calories from fat into an Excel spreadsheet. Once this is done, the spread sheets will be printed out, turned in and students will be asked to share with the class their findings. Not only will this assignment provoke students to choose healthier food options but it will also familiarize them with Microsoft Excel.
It's always tricky supervising students when in a computer lab. Especially 8th graders who are constantly concerned with checking things like face book and twitter. I'm concerned that it will be a challenge to keep students focused on the task at hand. However, I will try to combat these other distractions by walking around the class room and making sure students are on the sites they need to be.
One web-based tool I will use when preparing and teaching this lesson will be:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/. The website is full of nutritional facts and articles that are very useful for students and any one trying to live healthier. It also provides useful information on reading food labels and helps people customize meal plans to fit into their lifestyles. I will provide this link to my students during the the powerpoint presentation.
I really like your idea of having them go on spread sheets to look at the nutritional values of fast food restaurants. This seems like a very good way to not only inform them of healthy ways to eat but also a good way to incorporate the technology into the classroom and make a more hands-on learning experience.
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea of incorporating nutrition and health with technology. I think an overall knowledge of nutrition is very important, especially for children. I think it's a great idea to show and teach the children how to create an Excel spreadsheet to see their calorie and fat intake.
ReplyDeleteI admire the fact that you want to educate the youth about the increasing problem of youth related obesity today. This is an issue that I too am very passionate about.
ReplyDelete