Sunday, August 30, 2009

Post 1

I believe that computers and technologies are extremely crucial to enhancing the learning environment. This is because computers can give students better understanding of certain things by providing visual pictures, videos, audio, etc. Before computers, students would simply sit in class and listen to a professor lecture on topics which although it gets the point across, it can be slightly dull. For example, imagine a teacher is lecturing about how the heart works; with the use of the internet he/she can enhance the lecture by finding an actual video online of a heart pumping blood. Although many people think that this use of computers is too distracting for students, I disagree because I feel that if a student chooses to neglect the proper way to use a computer in a class room (and instead goes on facebook or myspace) then that's their own fault.

I think that I will use computers in my classroom as I described above, to enhance what I am trying to teach. I want my students to have the most tools available to help their learning and computers are a big one. I would also love to have a smart board in my class room that students can use to work out problems or watch documentaries on. I feel as though the more interaction students are given the longer their attention holds. I hope this class will teach me how to responsibly get students involved in the class room through the use of computers.

One thing that's new in the computer/internet world that I simply do not understand is the use of 'twitter'. I honestly don't get how people would want to read what other random people are doing through out the day. For example, I really don't care when Lindsey Lohan is going to the grocery store. And second of all, who has enough time on their hands to even have a twitter anyways? And third of all, why would you want people to know what your doing 24/7? I don't get it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, twitter just seems like another way for people to stalk you, hah. Plus, Facebook and Myspace already have what twitter has, why do we need ANOTHER social networking site that we can re-add all of our myspace and facebook friends to?

    ReplyDelete