Friday, September 11, 2009

Post 2

As a student, I can say that Microsoft Word has really come in handy throughout the years.  I have pretty much used it all the way from middle school up until now in college.  I mainly use Microsoft Word to write papers for school which I either print out and turn in or email to my professors.  I have also used it in the past to copy pictures that I need to print out.  I have also seen many of my teachers use Word as well to send out information like syllabuses, hand outs, reports, etc.  
I think a good example of using Word creatively in a school setting would be in middle schools when students are assigned to write research papers.  I feel as though its very boring for middle school age kids to simply just type up a boring old paper.  I think it's a really good idea for teachers to allow their students to enhance their papers with things such as clip art and word art.  Plus, this also brings out the creativity in the student and gets them more interested in what they are doing.
Before I got into this class I thought I pretty much knew all there is to know about computers.  However, I had no idea there were so many short cuts and other small little things that will make a teaching job so much easier.  I think one thing I will definitely use as a teacher that I got from this class will be using the 'print screen' button.  It's very convenient to use along with paint to cut out different parts of articles online and insert them into power points, hand outs, etc.  

6 comments:

  1. Using clip art and various images a fun way to use MS Word for students. I hope you will learn more functions that will allow you to creatively use MS Word for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comment about using the 'print screen' to capture online articles. I had never heard of the 'print screen' before this class but it is a great way to show and pass along information you find online to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing papers is so easy with MS Word. I agree that clip art and word art are fun ways to make a project unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about previous knowledge about computers before this class. I am learning a lot of little shortcuts that will be beneficial to my future career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on! That little trick with toggling between windows!? IN YOUR FACE APPLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you about all the interesting techniques Microsoft Word has to offer. I honestly thought I knew all the things Microsoft Word has to offer so I was in awe when we learned all these cool things. I think your idea of allowing middle school kids to intertwine more advanced Microsoft Word skills within their simple writing assignments. It'll get them exposed to technology in a fun and exciting way! Great Post :)

    ReplyDelete