The interesting web-based tool I chose to examine is called Teacher's Pet (http://www.teachers-pet.org/whatistp.html). The Teachers Pet tool is a word processor add on that uses 'macros' (facilities for performing a set of actions which then can be performed at the click of a button) to transform text into stimulating classroom resources. The tool bar can create things such as crosswords, bingo cards, jumbles, flash cards and much more.This website and tool bar is extremely easy to navigate and use because it provides step by step instructions. It also has a simple asthetically pleasing layout with all the links working properly.
I think one main way I would use Excel as a teacher would be when keeping track of my student's grades. Spread sheets are a great way to keep track of numerical information and allow for teachers to easily make changes and stay organized. I could also use Excel when teaching 6th graders physical education, specifically, nutrition. I would show the class how to keep track of their caloric intake and daily requirements using excel. This would allow the students to have a visual representation of their calories which could aid them in making healthier decisions.
One great example I found of using Excel in a school setting is creating a timeline for the school year. The teacher mapped out all the various topics and assignments she was going to cover through out the year using a spread sheet and then expanded it and hung it on the wall where all her students could view it. She found that this idea greatly helped the students because they were able to better plan out their time.
Blog Journal #10 prompts
16 years ago

I like your idea for teaching students about nutrition using Excel. I didn't think of that, but nutrition is one of my interests. Good idea!
ReplyDeleteTeacher's Pet looks like a great web-based tool for teachers! It would be a great way to create class assignments and study tools.
ReplyDeleteThats really neat that your teacher used Excel to create a timeline. Great idea!
ReplyDelete